Annan: Israel has to take meaningful steps to alleviate Palestinian suffering
Palestine-Israel-UN, Politics, 4/13/2006
United Nations Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, said Wednesday Israel has an obligation to take "meaningful steps" to alleviate Palestinian suffering.
In a message delivered by Mohamed Sahnoun, his Special Adviser on Africa, to the meeting of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in Istanbul, Annan added Israel must end blockades, stop house demolitions, end extra-judicial killings, curtail arbitrary arrests and halt all colonization activities.
Annan also urged the OIC to "guide the two sides toward negotiation and compromise."
He revealed that the UN respects the democratic choice of the Palestinian people in electing a Hamas-led Government, reiterating the hope that the party will move toward acceptance of non-violence, recognition of Israel's right to exist, and acceptance of previous agreements.
"The United Nations believes that acceptance of these principles will help the Palestinian people achieve their legitimate goal of an end to occupation and the creation of an independent and viable state, living in peace and security with its neighbors," Annan said.
Meantime, the Palestinian Center For Human Rights said that during the past 7 days, the Israeli occupation forces escalate attacks on Palestinian civilians and property in the occupied Palestinian territory, saying:
19 Palestinians, including 3 children, were killed by Israeli occupation forces.
- 10 of the victims, including a man, his child and two brothers, were extra-judicially executed by Israeli occupation forces.
- 94 Palestinians, including 32 children, were wounded by Israeli occupation forces gunfire.
- Israeli occupation forces continued to shell Palestinian areas in the Gaza Strip, particularly the northern area.
- Israeli occupation forces conducted 27 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank, concentrated mainly in Nablus.
- 70 Palestinian civilians, including 5 children and a girl, were arrested by Israeli occupation forces.
- 7 houses were transformed by Israeli occupation forces into military sites.
- Israeli occupation forces broke into al-Ahli Hospital in Hebron and arrested two injured Palestinians.
- Israeli occupation forces have continued to impose a total siege on the occupied Palestinian territory; Israeli occupation forces have closed border crossings in the Gaza Strip; a new permanent checkpoint was established at Jeet intersection, southwest of Nablus; and Israeli occupation forces arrested 5 Palestinian civilians, including two children, at checkpoints in the West Bank.
- Israeli occupation forces have continued to construct the Annexation Wall in the West Bank; Israeli occupation forces continued the construction of the Wall in the Dahiat al-Barid area to the north of Jerusalem and near “Shavi Shomron” settlement; Israeli occupation forces are transforming the Container checkpoint, south of Jerusalem, into a border crossing, similar to Qalandya crossing.
- Israeli settlers have continued to attack Palestinian civilians and property in the occupied Palestiian territory; settlers seized a house in the old town of Hebron.
Palestinian envoy: End of occupation, sole key to ME peace
Human rights groups urge Israeli army to stop the killing
Hamas-led government severe pressure to change policy on Israel
UN chief calls for giving Hamas its opportunity
Annan urges Palestinians to vote in upcoming elections
Palestinian group promotes their cause using dance
Please add a link on your webiste pointing to ArabicNews.com and bookmark ArabicNews.com & subscribe to our daily email news bulletin.
| Advertise on ArabicNews.com. MyFlowers.com sold more than $2700 of flowers in one month advertising on ArabicNews.com! Make your company, and products a success. Special rate for new and small business. Inquire!Advertising Info