Al-Ahram Interview with Garang
Sudan, Politics, 4/15/2004
In an exclusive interview with Al-Ahram, John Garang, the leader of Sudanese People's Liberation Movement (SPLM) said that Sudan is on the threshold of a new and crucial stage of its history that would define its future.
* I don't know exactly when the peace agreement would be signed, but I'm certain that it will be signed.
* About 20 issues are still pending, and they could be categorized into three major categories, namely South of Blue Nile, Abbai and power share.
* If no solution is reached on these issues, then our agreement would be in need of further details.
* Sudan is facing a new and critical stage that would impact on its future, either to remain unified or split into at least two states North and South, unless intensive efforts are exerted to realise the lost development in the South, and removing the continued complaints that existed since tens of years.
* I would like to express my deep and sincere appreciation to President Mubarak, and the good relations with Egypt who played a significant role in the issue of unity in Sudan.
* As to the Arab states in general, the Arabs can support the peace process and the development projects in South Sudan.
Al-Bashir: the peace agreement to be signed within days
Sudanese sides postpone signing the peace agreement
One Sudanese court sentences imprisonment for al-Jazeera correspondent
Please add a link on your webiste pointing to ArabicNews.com and bookmark ArabicNews.com & subscribe to our daily email news bulletin.
| Advertise on ArabicNews.com. MyFlowers.com sold more than $2700 of flowers in one month advertising on ArabicNews.com! Make your company, and products a success. Special rate for new and small business. Inquire!Advertising Info